Here I am, back again with some more journaling prompts! This time it is journaling prompts for self-love.
Thinking about and talking about self-love is near to my heart because for a long-time I didn’t love myself. I was bullied a lot (from elementary school until I graduated from high school) and it did a number on my self-esteem.
It took my YEARS to finally fall in love with myself. It doesn’t have to be that way and it shouldn’t.
YOU deserve to love yourself fully and deeply. I’m not going to lie, it does take time and effort to get there. But it IS possible.
If you want to take an even deeper dive into self-love, check out my self-love email course. In the course, we break done a few self-love concepts like body positivity and perfectionism. It also comes with a free printable self-love journal! Check it out here.
What is Self-Love & Why Should You Care?
Self-love is both feelings of love towards yourself and actions that help to cultivate that love.
But WHY should you love yourself?
Because the more you love yourself the more that you will do to protect, support, and nourish your body, mind, and soul. You would do anything to protect, support, and nourish your friends, children, and other loved ones, so why wouldn’t you want to do the same for yourself.
I’ve found from both working on myself and working with others, that the more love that you have for yourself, the more love that you have to give to yourself.
The now cliched saying is “You can’t pour from an empty cup”. While we hear it all the time, it is absolutely true. We can only give as much of ourselves as we have to give.
You can try to pour from that empty cup with out refilling it for a time. You may get a few drops out of it, but eventually, it’s going to run out. When it does (and I’ve experienced this), you burn out.
No one deserves to feel that way. So what do we do? We practice intentional self-love and self-care.
36 Journaling Prompts for Self-Love
These journaling prompts for self-love combine journaling prompts for self-esteem, journaling prompts for confidence, and journaling prompts for body positivity. There’s a little bit of everything in here.
What ever you’re feeling about yourself right now, these self-love writing prompts will help you feel a little bit better. And remember, you deserve to give all the love to yourself that you show to other people.
- What have you accomplished that makes you feel proud?
- How have you changed for the better?
- What songs help you feel confident? (Make them into a playlist!)
- What can you forgive yourself for today?
- What makes you “you”?
- Put a timer on for 5 to 10 minutes. Write compliments to yourself until the timer goes off.
- List all of the things that you love about your body
- How would a person who loves you describe you? How does that make you feel?
- What makes you feel confident?
- Write down a negative thought that you have about yourself. Now write down all the evidence that against that thought.
- What accessories or clothes make you feel confident?
- What parts of yourself are you grateful for?
If you’d like to cultivate self-love while being in a community with like-minded people, join my Facebook group!
- What do you need today? List what you need and find a way to give one or two of those things to yourself
- What does body positivity mean to you?
- How can you get to know yourself better?
- What do you need to let go of?
- Write down a few negative thoughts that you have about yourself. Scratch them out until you can’t see them anymore.
- What obstacles have you overcome?
- Get out your to-do list. Put “love myself” on the list and do an activity to act on it.
- What makes you a good friend?
- What do you like best about your body today?
- Describe the last time you felt an overwhelming feeling of love for yourself.
- What’s your self-love resolution?
- Write yourself a love letter. Save it to read any time you feel down.
- Write out your name vertically. Use one positive word to describe yourself with each letter of your name.
- Try out this self-love challenge. Write down how you feel each day.
- If you loved yourself more, what would you lose? What would you gain?
- Who do you admire for their confidence and why?
- In what ways do you help others feel better about themselves? How can you translate that to yourself?
- What’s the best part of your life right now?
- What’s a way that you can indulge in self-love today?
- Who can help you on your self-love journey?
- If you loved yourself fully, what would that look like?
- What’s your recipe for self-love?
- What’s your self-love language? (learn more about love languages here)
I hope that you enjoyed these self-love writing prompts and that they help to support you on your self-love journey. You can even use them to start a self-love journal! Let me know what your favorite prompts where in the comments!
Briana Hollis is a licensed social worker and self-care coach. She earned her Master of Science in Social Administration from Case Western Reserve University in 2014 and her Master of Education from Tiffin University in 2019. She has spent the last 5 years working in crisis intervention. Her passion for serving others is the heart of this site. She started Learning To Be Free to assist others in bringing freedom to their lives.
Briana is also the author of The Self-Care Journal for Young Adults.